It’s been said, “Ask a foolish question and get a foolish answer.” Someone asked Star-News “My Reporter,” how come there’s no bus service at the airport?
I suppose it seemed sensible to ask this of someone from the Cape Fear Transportation Authority. But that’s like asking foxes guarding the chicken house how many chickens are missing after a night raid.
Can we guess why buses don’t run back and forth to the airport? According to a transit planner it’s because he lacks funding. “It’s essentially an unfunded planned route, he said.” In other words service is in the works, but money isn’t. What would we expect him to say?
A better question—or a follow up—would be, “Can a bus route to the airport be justified financially based on public benefits?” My guess is, no, but bus planners (and politicians) would have vehicles going everywhere, all the time, regardless of cost/benefits—if only they had more public money.Read full article » No Comments »
I’m sure there are some people in Wilmington and surrounding areas who would welcome minor-league baseball to the Port City. I’m sure there are developers and would-be sports entrepreneurs who would like to make some money bringing minor-league baseball to the Port City. I’m sure there are plenty of other area residents who don’t much care about minor-league baseball and would prefer that they be allowed to spend their money on the entertainment and recreation activities of their choice.
This is a question for which there is a simple answer: don’t force anyone to do anything. Let those who want minor-league baseball pursue it as they wish. Leave the taxpayers out of the equation altogether. And by all means take note of any politicians who, at the same time local governments are struggling to finance basic services, start talking about creating new taxes to finance a ballpark. They may well be sending you the message that they’ve been in office a bit too long and need a break.Read full article » No Comments »
Carolina Journal has an exclusive story this morning that recounts in some detail the now-infamous events of August 29 that led to Sen. R.C. Soles’ arrest and subsequent conviction on assault charges. The story, by CJ Executive Editor Don Carrington, is based on an interview with the man Soles wounded with a handgun, Kyle Blackburn.
His account of the episode makes no one involved look particularly good. Here’s a key passage:
Both Blackburn and Wright were former legal clients of Soles. According to Blackburn, the men had been to Soles’ residence, a 4,000-square-foot home built in 1968 and which sits on a two-acre site adjoining a lake just outside the city limits, several other times.
“I turned around and was going to try and apologize and get everything straightened out because he [Soles] was very upset,” Blackburn said. “I said ‘Mr. Soles.’ He hollered, ‘Leave.’ He had the gun pointed at me. I picked up my hands and said. ‘Please don’t shoot me. I’m leaving.’ I made two steps the other way and he shot me.”
The bullet from Soles’ revolver passed through Blackburn’s upper right leg, just missing his femur. Wright took Blackburn to a hospital in South Carolina where he was treated and released the following day.
There is also some video from Blackburn on CarolinaJournal.tv:Read full article » 1 Comment »